Sunday, June 10, 2007

I Have about 50 Maps but...

I have a map and I actually learned how to use it! But most times I don’t feel like it does me any good so maybe I didn’t truly master the art of using a map. I almost always find the where I am located on the map, but it’s hard to find my targeted destination. Sometimes, even when I do find my destination, I get lost because I don’t navigate myself correctly.

Before I got to Rome, I had NO IDEA how to read a map. It was all a big mess of lines to me. I guess this is evidence that when I absolutely need to learn something that I have no knowledge of, I’m actually capable of doing it.

Maps are such a useful tool. I feel kind of bad that it took me so long to figure out how to use one. But better late then never. A common misconception of mine was that all maps are the same. I recently learned that this wasn’t the case.

The use of a map was particularly useful today when getting to our on site destination for neighborhood narratives class. Although we used about 3 different types of transportation, we got to where we need to be in somewhat of a timely manner. This is not something that my roommates and I are used to because we usually arrive very late to the on-site class meetings. I am actually looking forward to coming home to Philly and using a map there. Everyone says that the city of Philadelphia is just a big grid on the map, so I guess that using a map to get around there should be a piece of cake compared to the windy little streets of Roma.

No comments: