Sunday, June 10, 2007

Labyrinth

When Hana brought up the notion of the labyrinth, I immediately thought of Borges reading. I read this story in my death and dying class and I simply loved it. I thought that it was the most interesting thing when Borges rationalizes the psychological stages that a person goes through when he finds out that he’s immortal. The person enters this confusing and complicated maze to which there is no end. The person also loses his sense of individuality because everything he does or experiences will happen again eventually.

This is the feeling that I get when I get lost in Rome. I feel like I keep making circles in an endless labyrinth. Each time I make my way around a specific area and come back to the same spot. As one would imagine, I quickly become confused and pissed off because I’ve been to the same place 5 times and can’t seem to find my way out. This is what differentiates being lost from drifting: While drifting, I’m not looking for a way out. And because I’m not looking for a way out, I eventually find my way out during my drift.

No comments: